It's botanical week on the Great British Bake off this week, so, in celebration of that, I thought I'd whip up some cupcakes and pipe icing on them to make them look a little bit like roses. So I thought I'd share the recipe on here, even though they're just bog standard vanilla cupcakes and buttercream.
You will need:
For the cake:
115g softened butter
115g Caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
115g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon milk
For the icing:
75g softened butter
175g Icing sugar
splash of vanilla
splash of red food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tray with 12 paper cases.
2. Beat together the butter and caster sugar until combined. Add the eggs gradually, same with the vanilla and milk.
3. Fold in the flour until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and give them a shake so they're all the same size. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they pass the knife test.
4. transfer to a wire rack to cool and start on the icing.
5. For the icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar until combined, then add the vanilla and food colouring and combine all of that.
6. When the cakes are cool, pipe the icing onto the cakes and voila.
Next week's recipe will be a bit more complex, I promise.